Sixth Floor Labs Forum Index Sixth Floor Labs
The watering hole of the 6FL community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sixth Floor Labs Forum Index -> Project Alexandria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuleX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Moving Reply with quote

Alexandria MAY be entertaining, but the moving is just a PAIN IN THE ASS!

I don't know what the "switch gears" command should do, it's still unusable. The graphics aren't teh shit, but my eyes aren't bleeding.

But sorry, you have to make WAY better games, nobody will buy it, especially, if it's written in Python. Everybody can read the sources after buy!
Ethan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you don't like the way Alex plays. But I don't understand why you think we shouldn't use Python -- of course people can read the source, that's why it's GPLed!

Ethan
CuleX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethan wrote:
I'm sorry you don't like the way Alex plays. But I don't understand why you think we shouldn't use Python -- of course people can read the source, that's why it's GPLed!

Ethan

I know some python games. The most of them wouldn't work with wither versions than THIS Python version and THIS version of SOMEDEPENDENCY. A very good example is Slune.

Ah okay. You won't sell this game, you're just releasing it, upon there's enough money.
Kiba

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that moving is the most difficult part of the game. Otherwise, it is an excellent game.

I still can't figure out how to get past the crusher though.
Ethan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving in an inertia-based game is necessarily a pain. Some tips:

1) Use the pull beam to stop yourself. This takes some practice to get right, but it's the most effective way to come to a complete stop. The pull beam will stop velocity if the velocity is directly away from the beam.

2) The pull beam also helps if you're trying to change velocity. The pull beam will keep any velocity that's perpendicular to the pull beam, and sorta "swing you around".

3) If you need control, the second gear slows down your acceleration by two-thirds or something. This is a big difference, and feels very slow, but can help you come to a perfect stop.

As for the crusher, I thought it was too easy when we released. I've seen a simple way and a good way to get past it. The simple way is to just power through, bouncing off the left wall, and hope that you've angled yourself correctly. The good way (the way I intended) is to accelerate to a fast speed, and then use the pull beam like in #2. Good luck!

Ethan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sixth Floor Labs Forum Index -> Project Alexandria All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: